What is “style” and how can it relate to me?
It seems like the concept of style is a bit elusive… suggesting something that one might not “have enough of” or be “lacking in”. A bit difficult to define or pin down.
Now, I know you guys like things that are definitive so read on and rest easy (or not).
If you are wearing clothing purchased in the last 1 to 5 years you are wearing clothes that are “in style”. Why? Because that is what stores sell. Easy. However, here’s the catch on the 1 to 5 year spread: the more “fashion forward or trendy or hip” your clothes are, the less time you have to wear them confident you are “in style”. The more traditional and classic your clothes are, the longer you can wear them knowing you are stylish.
I’m suggesting that in a relatively recent wardrobe, being in style comes naturally. What is WAY more important (and why you have a close relationship with your trusty personal image consultant!) is do your clothes reflect your personal style and do they reflect you in your best light?
Here are some common in – style questions I get asked:
- Pleats vs. no pleats on trousers
- 2 button jackets vs. 3 button
- Should my pants be cuffed?
- Single breasted vs. Double
- Adding in visual design elements such as pocket squares
- Should I wear French cuffs on my shirts?
- Patterns and colors of the season
- Designer labels – whats hot?
- Are some casual shoes “out”?
If you are 25 years old, 160 pounds dripping wet, and live in Greenwich Village you may want to keep your online subscription to Men’s Wear Daily to keep tabs on the runway. But for the rest of you, you want easy to coordinate outfits that make you look great – fit you well – highlight the good parts, low light the bad – play up your looks with color and textures – come across with a level of sophistication and polish hat is not stuffy or formal. And look updated.
Updating your wardrobe is an excellent thing to do. Weeding out the less classic older items alone will improve it before you have even spent a dime.
If you have a yen to be “more stylish” this year, then when shopping time comes, you fill your basket with excellent quality and fitting solid purchases of more classic staples, and a few less expensive, trendy ones for giving it a kick. A belt, a pair of fun shoes, a great going-out shirt or a hip feeling sport coat or jacket. A hat even. These less expensive stylish details will add to the definition of your own style.
No Time? That’s the beauty of hiring a professional!
The easiest way to look your best is to make a single phone call.
What happens next? A Personal Image Consultant shows up and effectively and efficiently
- transform a disorganized, overloaded closet into a lean, mean business tool machine
- does the shopping you know you need for you – you show up to a pre-stocked dressing room!
- OR, brings the beautiful quality, high value J Hilburn line of affordable custom clothing right to your home or office!
Call 800-798-1643 (or click) for an appointment today and see how easy I make it to look your best!